My husband took me out to lunch the other day so that we could try a vegan restaurant that we had heard a lot about. It was quite a drive, but I am so glad that we went – we ended up trying different things and loving every bite of it. This one, was one of the most unique menu items. I didn’t replicate it exactly, but it is pretty darn close and just as delicious. These are really easy to throw together for dinner, especially if you already have the sweet potatoes steamed and the coleslaw marinating.
Jamaican Sweet Potato Wraps
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled
2 cups thinly sliced seitan
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon Jamaican Jerk seasoning (or Jamaican seasoning with pepper), plus 1/2 teaspoon
1 teaspoon smoke seasoning or liquid smoke (optional)
1 large tomato, diced
1 cup shredded cabbage
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup green onions
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
1 package lavash wraps or Flat Out wraps
1. Place sweet potatoes in an electric countertop steamer and steam for 15 to 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Allow to co0l slightly, then slice into 1/8 inch slices.
2. Place seitan, olive oil, Jamaican seasoning, and smoke seasoning into a glass container with a lid. Shake so that seitan is covered. Allow to marinate for at least 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, onions, vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Add 1/2 teaspoon Jamaican seasoning and mix. Allow to marinate together.
4. Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add seitan and cook until golden and fragrant, turning once during cooking. Remove from heat.
5. To assemble, place sweet potatoes on the right side of the wrap. Layer with seitan, tomatoes, and cole slaw, adding additional seasonings as desired. Roll tightly to seal wrap, and cut in half if desired. Enjoy!